J & M Tank Lines, Inc. operates 265 tractors and 414 tanks from nine terminals located in southeastern United States.
J & M purchased 50 tractors in 2008 and we have budgeted to purchase another 50-60 in 2009.
Average age of our tractors at 2008 year-end was 2.17 years.
In the last three years, we have purchased 64 new tanks.
J & M operates some of the most light weight pneumatic equipment on the road. How have we reduced tractor weight?
- We have reduce the amount of fuel we carry to 750 lbs
- We currently utilize 1 fuel tank versus 2 fuel tanks - this reduces the weight of the truck by 7 lbs
- We reduced our wheels and tires from 18 to 10, reducing the weight by 640 lbs
- Light weight engines - 840 lbs
- Light weight tanks
- Utilization of aluminum components