As our country adapts to the world-wide epidemic that is the coronavirus (COVID-19), so do the many industries that support the United States economy. Each day is filled with new statistics, new local and federal orders, new medical advice and a new normal.
Those in the trucking industry have always recognized this industry to be the backbone of our country and now the rest of the country is realizing it too. The mass hysteria that occurs in grocery stores as citizens rush to stockpile as many cleaning supplies, toilet paper and canned goods as possible, has everyone looking for the Professional Truck Drivers to deliver the next shipment.
While J & M Tank Lines focuses primarily on the dry-bulk, B2B portion of the trucking industry, we are honored to serve and support our nation and its people. While business is not what we consider to be “normal” we are striving each day to adapt to the changing epidemic to keep our employees, customers and their families safe, while still delivering freight. Here are a few policies and procedures we have implemented to help make this happen.
A Letter to Our Customers & Our Employees
Maintaining open communication with our customers and employees is crucial to ensure the needs of all parties are being met. Each customer has their own version of health and sanitation policies that our drivers must be compliant with. However, compliance at the customer is simply not enough.
In order to help stop the spread of the virus, all J&M employees, not just our professional drivers, are to adhere to any new or changing health and sanitation policies set by J&M in compliance with the CDC and state and federal governments. From the moment an employee arrives to work, to the moment an employee departs, there are steps put into place to help keep them safe from the spread of COVID-19.
All customers and employees of J & M are greatly encouraged to reach out with any additional questions or concerns regarding new or any changes in policy. In times such as these, one cannot over communicate.
Information & Details About COVID-19
It can be difficult to defend yourself and others from a virus that you are either not aware of or do not know much about. For this reason, flyers explaining what the coronavirus (COVID-19) is, how to protect yourself and your family, as well as hygiene and travel tips are placed around our terminals, offices and driver mailboxes.
A variety of new policies have been put in order over the last few weeks and changes to such policies are expected to happen.
- Hygiene & Health Policy (For all locations & employees)
- Corporate/Office Sanitation Policy (Specific to those who work at a desk and come into contact with heavy traffic and communal areas)
- Terminal Social Distancing Policy (For drivers and terminal employees)
- Daily Truck Sanitation Policy (For drivers and mechanics)
- If You Are Sick… (For any employees that may show any suspicious symptoms)
- COVID-19 Health Screening Questionnaire (Required for all employees upon arrival to work daily)
- Essential Worker Form (Required for all employees to carry on their person or in their vehicle, in the event that documented proof of essential personnel is required by law enforcement)
Multiple communication outlets have been implemented in an effort to provide any changes or updates in information to all employees in the timeliest manner possible. A few of these outlets include:
- Personal and company emails
- People Net Messages (sent directly to each truck to be seen at time of login)
Media (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn)
- Weekly video messages from our CEO, Harold Sumerford, Jr.
- YouTube Playlist for COVID-19 Health Tips (includes informational videos)
- Flyers and postings at each terminal and office location
- Handouts in driver mailboxes at the terminal
- Contact information for anyone who has questions or concerns
- Weekly management conference calls
Until the threat of the coronavirus has ceased, we expect more policies to come into effect as well as changes to any existing company and customer policies. We hope to do our part in flattening the curve while also keeping America moving forward. Thank you to all of our employees for your dedication to J & M and willingness to get the job done. We have always believed we have the best employees in the industry, and it is proven each day.
Employees and customers, please do not hesitate to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns you may have. We are here and ready to support you as we work towards a corona-free environment.